The Land of Asura (修羅の国, Shura no Kuni) is a country featured in Hokuto no Ken and Souten no Ken, located near the Sea of Death. It is the birthplace of the Hokuto, Nanto and Gento Kō Ken martial arts. The Land of Asura is the setting of the last major arc in the series, and features the strongest foes faced.
Culture[edit | edit source]
Once a part of China, Shura no Kuni became a violent country ruled by warlords. Male Shura receive a spartan upbringing, learning only how to fight and kill. Only 1% of Shura boys reach adulthood. Females can only hope to become a wife of a Shura, as there is no other option for them.
Shura boys and warriors are rendered nameless until they properly join the ranks of the warrior caste. As soon as they reach their 15th birthday, they are to undergo a rite of passage, to engage in battle and defeat 100 opponents whose corpses must be brought as proof. Only when achieving this feat, they are given a name and officially introduced into the adults.
It is an isolationist nation-- no one is allowed to enter or leave the country. Violation of this law is an automatic death sentence. It is not entirely clear whether foreigners count towards the 100 body count requirement for adulthood, as the Nameless Asura had massacred a crew nearly numbering 100 men when he was 15 years old, yet remained nameless several years after the event and now a grown man. The Asura live in fear of the Rakshasa (羅刹 Rasetsu), the legendary Asura-devouring beast whose identity Shachi has adopted.
Even after becoming proper Shura, the warriors can still fight amongst themselves for different reasons, even competing for a particular bride as reward in a tournament. Shura who kill other Shura in battle, take a sample of the blood of their fallen opponent and mark themselves with it as a form of spiritual rite, where the spirit of the fallen warrior lives through the blood, empowering the winner and making him stronger. When taking in a new wife as trophy a practice where a cup of wine is seasoned with the blood of the would be wife is delivered to the Shura, thereby sealing the marriage.
The army of the country is the strongest army in the series even outmatching the armies of Raoh, Souther, Shin and Jakoh. Even the strongest master of Gento like Falco has some trouble fighting an average soldier, although he was injured and exhausted. However, they mostly act like the common thug in the series since they use most of their muscle not their brain. Shura have an array of different martial arts at their disposal otherwise not seen elsewhere.
Despite the fact that almost all Shura are completely heartless and brutal, there are still some Shura who still have some kindness and humanity in them likes Nagato, his men and Hyo (before his corruption).
After Kaioh's death, the Shura were wiped out by the Hokuto army and the rebel villager.
Caste[edit | edit source]
A caste system is in place in Shura no Kuni.
- Rasho (羅将, Supreme Leader): Three warlords that rule the land.
- Gunsho (郡将, District Leader): District commanders.
- Asura (修羅 Asura): Main warrior caste.
- Boro (ボロ Rags) : The lowest caste, similar to the ancient Helots. Boros are former Asura who have been defeated in battle, but survive. As defeat is considered paramount to death, their tendons in their legs are cut to ensure that they cannot feasibly fight back, and are essentially slaves and attendants to the Asura whom they are in servitude to. Notably, some lesser Asura are in attendance to higher ranking Asura, including Gunsho, showing flexibility in the ranks.
Ashuran Language[edit | edit source]
- Ara Shōkon (愛羅承魂): A statement of victory. - Alf
- Da (咑):A kiai
- Fun (憤): Hate, resentment. - Kaio
- Funha (噴破): Destruction - Shachi
- Funso Soku (憤詛熄): An exclamation of anger. - Alf
- Hanra Hamida Abutetora (凡羅破魅陀亜仏弟斗羅) - Nameless Asura
- Húhŭ (狐虎): Fox Tiger (Password to Leia's school) - Tao
- Hūṃ (हूँ): Kaio
- Katsu (喝): Shout - Kenshiro
- Ketsukō Shusei Yōseikuntō Shibi Taitei Sanrei Seikun Kōseikundo Kōryōdaijin (闕皇主星曜星君東紫微大帝産霊星君喉星君土皇良大神) - Jukei
- Om (ༀ) - Jukei
- Pá (爬): Crawl, Climb - Boro
- Páo (袍): Cloak - Boro
- Pŏ (頗): Uneven - Boro
- Sai (砕): Smash - Kuroyasha
- Sǎn (散): Scatter - Boro
- Shā (殺): Kill - Kaiser
- Tahlon (大老): Master - Hyo
- Vajra (वज्र): diamond thunderbolt or denunciation- Jukei
- Wúcáo (吾曹): We - Boro
- Zhǎn (斬): Decapitate - Kaiser